Thursday, March 07, 2013

8 years in Sierra Leone...

It is hard to believe that it's been 8 years since I first arrived at Lungi Airport. My initial plan was to stay for a year, as you can see, plans changed. I guess that is one of the things I've learnt here - plans change, be flexible! 

It is great to see that there has been progress over the past 8 years. Yes, there is still a long road ahead, but it is encouraging to look back and see how far we have come. Free healthcare for children under 5 years has its challenges, but it is a step in the right direction. The quality of services at the Children's hospital are better than they were and we will continue to improve on that as time goes on. National power is more frequent (although I'm saying that after we having a number of hours without power in the office today), road works have been completed in some areas (others are still ongoing) and well, the water supply has been fine in my house (although I know people in our neighborhood still have shortages). 

When I look back over the years I am thankful for the work I was able to do at the Aberdeen Women's Centre (initially ACFC) in the outpatient clinic. There are still days that I really miss working there. I am thankful for the work I have been able to do with Welbodi Partnership at the Children's Hospital. There have been many challenges, but also many rewards. There are so many great people I have met along the way - both patients, families, expatriates, Sierra Leoneans. I have been blessed. I am thankful for friends and family who have supported me on this journey.

Honestly, I have no idea how long I'll be here. I have no plans to leave at the moment but like I said above, plans can change. But for now, this is my home and I have to say, with a view as shown in the picture above from my bedroom, I can't say I feel the need to move anytime soon. Sweet Salone I am happy to call this my home.

http://www.sandralako.blogspot.com/2007/03/2-years-in-salone.html
http://www.sandralako.blogspot.com/2008/03/three-years-ago-i-arrived.html
http://www.sandralako.blogspot.com/2012/03/7-years-ago.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So proud of you, so thankful we started the Salone adventure together. Liefs mama

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~