Saturday, December 08, 2012

Little boy with cleft lip/palate returns...


I am pleased to say that I saw the cleft lip and palate baby again on Thursday, a week after he was discharged. Mom, dad and baby were doing well. I was so proud of the parents. It was amazing to watch the dad help the mom prepare the formula and observe the mom feeding her son with so much love and patience. A miracle.

During the week that this family was at home, another child with a cleft lip and palate was born at the hospital. A little girl. Instead of experiencing the joy of a healthy baby, another family was in shock and confused. Another opportunity for me to talk to them about the condition, the acceptance of the child, the support they needed to give each other. I saw the opportunity to connect the two families. I was not sure if that would work. In the end it did, but it wasn't straight forward and somewhat happened by chance. I had hope. Hope that this child would be accepted as well, and hope that she would thrive. Things turned out differently than I had hoped... 

No comments:

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~