Monday, December 31, 2012

Highs and lows of 2012...

I can't believe it's the 31st of December already. In some ways it feels like 2012 has flown by, in other ways it seems like it has been a long year with many ups and downs. Overall, it has been a good year. I have great memories and have been blessed to meet some amazing people. Sadly, a number of good friends left Sierra Leone in 2012 and they are missed a lot. That's the hardest - so many comings and goings. 

2012 highs: 
  • Multiple trips to Namina's village
  • Beach time with friends
  • Long weekend at Turtle islands
  • Helping with a workshop at Kenema Hospital
  • Hiking up Sugarloaf (finally!)
  • ETAT training at the Children's hospital
  • Investing in a car (a loan) to help a friend get closer to his dreams
  • An MRE feast with John, Katy and Suzanne
  • Two trips to Guinea
  • Birthday trip to Guma Valley Dam
  • Visiting the Africa Mercy 
  • A 4 day trip to a friend's village in Guinea
  • Sunday afternoon walks on Lumley beach
  • Peaceful presidential elections (and sneaking out)
  • Thanksgiving dinner (and prep) with friends
  • Attending a conference in Accra, Ghana
  • Slow but steady progress at the Children's Hospital
  • Working on the x-ray project - a huge challenge but also fun
  • Snow for Christmas and sledding
  • Seeing friends and family in the UK, Netherlands and USA
2012 lows:
Fortunately the highs exceed the lows by far. The biggest low was probably my less than 100% health, which made me a bit miserable at times. However, it could have been so much worse so I can't really complain. My Nigeria trip was also not on my highlight list. It was a very difficult time - a lonely time and extremely busy and tiring and at times a little scary. Failing the primary exam for the West African college was a definite low - although the pass rate is very poor, I was hopeful and disappointed. A trying time. Another low was the number of children with hydrocephalus that passed away after their operations - made me feel a little guilty and helpless. Relationships have been a challenge at times too. I am sure that all of these lows are making me into a better person. 

I am thankful for 2012 - the good times and the not so good times. God has been faithful and I will continue to trust that His ways are better than mine! I'm looking forward to a great 2013.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!

No comments:

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~