Thursday, November 15, 2012

Sierra Leone elections: reflecting back to 2007...

In 2007 I was also here for the presidential elections. I was just looking at some of my blog posts from that time. I hadn't remembered how close the votes actually were. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if we have a run-off again. We'll know within two weeks of the voting. I also forgot about some mild unrest in town in the run up to the run offs. And the announcement of a peace rally held two days prior to the run-offs. And that we had to stay on the compound after the run-offs before the results were announced, for a day due to some unrest.

In 2007 it took 14 days for the first results to be announced, and they were as follows: APC 44.34%, SLPP 38.28% and PMDC 13.89% It took another two weeks for the run off elections. The run-off results were: APC 54.6% and SLPP 45.4% 

I enjoyed a stroll down election memory lane. If you are interested, look at blog posts from August and September 2007:
http://sandralako.blogspot.com/2007_08_01_archive.html
http://sandralako.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.html

PS: I JUST RECEIVED A PHONE CALL FROM OSMAN IN THE STADIUM AND COULD HEAR THE SLPP VICE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE, KADIE SESAY DELIVERING HER SPEECH AND EVERYONE CHEERING!!!

1 comment:

Levi Hutton said...

Hello maate nice post

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~