Friday, September 07, 2012

Exam Day: T-28...

In a previous post I explained that I am studying for a paediatric residency entrance exam. Well, the studying continues for another 27 days. 28 days from now I will be sitting at a desk at Connaught Hospital, writing an exam.


I never thought the Krebs cycle would come back to haunt me but sure enough, I found myself in the depths of biochemistry yesterday reading about metabolism of carbohydrates, lipids and proteins. I have to say, it is somewhat more interesting to look at it with much more clinical experience but the fact remains, biochemistry is not really my thing.

It's unbelievable how much material I have to cover. Physiology (renal, cardio, pulmonary, digestive), biochemistry, embryology, pharmacology, statistics, etc. There's just not enough time, but I'll do what I can. I'm a bit alarmed at times but once I sit down and study, I find I quite enjoy it. I can only do my best and hope for the best. Unfortunately the exam contains of loads of questions in little time, plus there is negative marking. It's going to be a bit of a gamble to know how many questions to fill in!

This all makes me wonder if this idea is just too crazy. Is this what I should be doing right now? It's funny how throughout life we/I tend to question what the future will hold and how we can shape that according to God's plans. Spending a bit of time out of Sierra Leone gives me the chance to reflect. I find myself wondering if the hospital will ever change? If we (me, Welbodi, aid in general) are making a difference? How we can motivate people? If there's any point in carrying on if people's attitudes don't change? If I should continue to invest time and energy? Will spending hands-on time on the wards day in and day out change things? As you can see there are many questions and right now, few answers. It's a good thing I have a few more weeks in Holland to reflect in between the studying!

No comments:

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~