Thursday, June 23, 2011

Sierra Leone Pop Quiz...

What is worse: no electricity or no water?
Answer: no water

What’s worse than that?
Answer: no electricity and no water

And what is even worse than that?
Answer: having both electricity and water but getting electrocuted when the tap is turned on

Yeah, so the very impressive lightning and thunder storm last night knocked down some wires and now our flat is no longer earthed. Lucky for everyone else in the building, their flats are fine. What does this mean? Basically if you touch or turn on a tap, you get shocked. And apparently, if you take a shower, like my colleague did, you get shocked throughout your body. Oh Sierra Leone. I had to test it for myself of course plus we wondered if flip flops would give enough protection to spare us from getting shocked. Since I always wear flip flops, I was the guinea pig. Sure enough, with flip flops on I could touch the tap without any trouble. However, after being provoked by my colleagues, I removed my flip flops and touched the tap. A pretty significant shock went up my arm! I wasn’t too impressed. So, it’s flip flops on at all times until the flat is earthed again, which should be tomorrow if the electrician show up. And lastly, no shower for me tonight, except maybe a bucket shower. The adventure never ends...


PS: this post is dedicated to Jen. I think she'll get a kick out of this one!

No comments:

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~