Friday, May 20, 2011

Mercy Ships Connections video: May 2011...

This is the latest Mercy Ships Connections video which includes some footage from the screening that took place earlier this year. I was asked to say a few words and the interview appeared on this video (towards the end). Just thought I'd share.

I have been able to refer a number (around 50 by now I believe) of patients to the ship including patients with cleft lip, cleft palate, lipoma, noma, clubbed feet, micrognathia (no lower jaw), contractures, hernias, bowed legs, and more. I have also been able to contact surgeons onboard for advice on various cases, which has been helpful.

Sometimes the never-ending knocks by strangers on my office door get a bit annoying, especially when it's yet another person with a goiter or hernia or something else that cannot be treated onboard. Also, the walks to and from the port are not always as convenient and it's definitely made my work busier, but in the end, it is a pleasure to be able to help both the children and adults in Freetown. For many of them this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. And of course, for patients I've have known for years, like Namina, this is what we have been waiting for. Mercy Ships has been a huge part of my life (14 years living onboard, 4 years working for them in Aberdeen), that I have to say it is only natural for me to stay involved. And it's a privilege. Of course, the perks are great too. I have to say that although I have never lived or worked on the Africa Mercy, the simple fact that it is a Mercy Ship still makes it feel like home to me. I think it's the familiarity of community life, and the familiar faces too of course.

1 comment:

fabdad said...

What a great opportunity to be able to refer patients to the AFM, Sandra! I'm praying that not only will all this serve to help even more of the needy you serve, but that it'll open doors for you and the influence you have in Freetown will grow as a result. God is good. -Steve

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~