Friday, April 22, 2011

Easter eggs in Sierra Leone...

My good friend Sarah invited me over to the Aberdeen Women’s Centre Monday evening to decorate Easter eggs. It’s a tradition and it’s fun. And boy, did we have fun!

I actually ended up spending all day at the office in Wilberforce because people we arranged to meet with between 8 and 10 am did not show up till 2 pm. It’s a long story and it was most definitely African time. It was frustrating not to be able to get to the hospital, but at least it meant I would be home by 5pm. This also meant I could go to the Aberdeen Centre on time and join them for dinner! Usually I’m not home until 630 or 7 pm.

After dinner we went upstairs and boiled the eggs. Then the decorating began. This was definitely not the traditional decorating – no paints, no pastel colors, no designs. We actually ended up making egg characters. And in the end we somehow ended up with a wedding party, including a bride, a groom, a ninja jellyfish, a bunny, a royalty, a smiling face and a happy Easter face. It was quite the collection of egg characters.

We did not have time to re-enact an entire wedding but did do some wedding party shots in various places around the compound. We laughed a lot and that was so good! I think everyone else thought we were crazy. We decided we should get together and be creative more often! It’s quite therapeutic, good fun and wonderful to spend time with friends.

I know Easter is not about the eggs but we did have fun. And while we were out taking pictures, laughing and being crazy I couldn’t help but feel a great sense of freedom. And thinking about it more, and reflecting on Good Friday today I realize again what an amazing gift we have been given- the gift of life, the gift of freedom.

Happy Easter!




No comments:

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~