Saturday, February 19, 2011

Banana island...

I spent 3 days on Banana Island between Christmas and New Years with some friends. What a great place. Butterflies, Birds, Bats, Flowers, Monkeys, Trees, Fish, Fruit, Bungalows, Hammocks, Beaches, Rocks. There's so much to explore. The words that come to mind are: beauty, adventure, rest, relaxation, fun.The island is a great place for a break - a getaway from the city. It's a great place to explore. We managed to find some monkeys in the forest and track them a bit to find some more monkeys. I think we were lucky because the next day we couldn't find them again. We also did some makeshift snorkeling - also lots of fun.
The bungalows are quaint. Comfortable enough but a bit noisy at night with rats running around in the roof. I think next time I'll take a tent. Of course, the hammock made for a lovely spot to rest a bit. You can't compete with a hammock.
On our way to the island we stopped and bought some fish from a local fisherman. Yes, this is him, on his little boat. The food on the island was great and I would highly recommend the baked fish wrapped in banana leaves. Delicious. But, like in most places, order well ahead of time...or you might find yourself getting very hungry.

All in all, Banana island is an amazing and unique place to go. You can enjoy the beach (although a bit too many rocks for me), hike in the forest, rest in the hammock, sit around the table and chat, walk around the village. It's definitely worth a trip and I'm sure I'll be back.

No comments:

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~