Sunday, October 31, 2010

Out and about...

Another weekend in Freetown. I actually stayed close to home this weekend after plans to River 2 beach fell through. I still haven't been there since 2009! Friday afternoon I had dinner with some friends at Mamba Point and then went on to Roy's on Lumley Beach. I think Roy's has become my new hangout spot. There's an indoor restaurant and an outdoor raised platform with tables and chairs overlooking the beach. It has a nice atmosphere, great breeze and spectacular view. I actually ended up there Saturday evening again. Today I went up to church in Regent and was impressed that I managed to get a taxi from Regent back to Wilberforce for Le 1,000 (25 US cents) - I suppose it's the usual price for locals (that or Le 2,000) but as a white lady I am usually charged anywhere between Le 3,000 and 6,000. I won today. I'm now in Aberdeen using the internet at Mercy Ships (I must get my own at some point!) and going to walk on the beach for a bit later. It's been a quiet weekend.


I'm definitely out and about a lot more, having spent many evenings away from home, which has been a nice change. Of course, all of it is by public transport and so far that has gone smoothly. I do like being out amongst the Sierra Leoneans and attempting to do things their way. Last week, I did forego taking public transport when going from the hospital to home and decided to walk the entire way. In the end it took me an hour and a half. Which, considering it can take just as long by car in traffic, is not bad. It was quite hot though. I'm sure I'll do it again.

Someone asked me the other day if I have broken my rule and taken an okada (motorcycle taxi) yet... Nope, I haven't. And don't think I will. Even some Fullah men I was talking to at the roundabout this morning advised me not to. I'll take their advice. So for now, it's our own car with driver, taxis, poda podas or on foot.

3 comments:

Kim Kargbo said...

Don't do it Girl! The orthopedic care in F/T is not that great!! :-) Stick with taxis or your feet!

Sarah said...

thanks for giving us a glimpse of your days! I love reading but don't often post comments.

Sandra's Latest... said...

Thanks for your comments :)

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~