Saturday, September 25, 2010

Packing in a storm...

I was supposed to go out tonight, but there was a very heavy rainstorm; definitely what I would call a tropical rainstorm. The balcony doors were open, as were all of the windows in the flat, and within minutes I was dealing with a flooded living room. Ugh. I quickly went out onto the balcony to bring in the laundry and thought I was going to be thrown off of the balcony by the gusts of winds. I hope I rescued all of the laundry that was hanging up to dry! Four hours later and it is still raining.

So, although I bailed out on some friends, I am spending a rather enjoyable evening alone in the flat. Listening to music, washing my clothes, talking to my mom on the phone, writing blog posts, cooking dinner and … packing. Yes, I am going on a holiday. Normally I would not go on a holiday so soon (3 months) after arriving, however, a very good friend is getting married and I am honored to be one of her bridesmaids. Reason enough to go. So, it’s a brief stop (36 hours) in Holland and then on to the UK for 4 days, then to Holland for 12 days after which I’ll return to the UK to fly back to Freetown. I am excited to see friends and thrilled to see my family again. My whole family will be together for the first time since July 2007, which will be very special. My nieces and nephew have never met, which will be fun and my nephew has never met his great grandparents. Plus I haven’t seen my nephew and sister-in-law since August 2009. I am sure there will be many fun and amazing moments. However, having said all that, I think I will miss Sierra Leone.

Is that crazy? Someone who has lived here for a year went home last week and wrote that she missed Sierra Leone. Some people here thought that was a bit insane. However, I can relate. I suppose that because I really feel this is where I should be right now, I don’t really feel the need to go. Granted there are times I wake up at night and wonder what I am doing here and why I would choose to leave friends and family and go a thousand miles away but for the most part I love it. I suppose having spent over 4 ½ years here makes a difference, plus the fact that I do not have a tangible home anywhere else makes it easier for this to feel like home. Anyway, I’ll make sure to enjoy my break and have loads of fun and come back refreshed and ready to dive right in again.

No comments:

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~