Monday, July 26, 2010

Freetown Weekend...

Another Monday morning, Time to get back to business after an eventful weekend.

The weekend started as soon as we left work at 5pm and headed to Bliss for some birthday cake. After choosing a fabulous piece of cheesecake and chocolate cake we settled down in the lounge to enjoy our tea and cake.

Later, a delicious meal of barracuda fish, mashed potatoes and stir-fried vegetables at Country Lodge made for a great birthday dinner with a lovely group of friends.

On Saturday we went to the hospital for a surprise visit on the wards as a part of the performance based incentive: the ward bonus check. Fortunately a number of wards had improved since the workshop, however, a few units were still struggling to perform well. On one of the wards 4 of the scheduled nurses were absent and many of the patient observations were not done. At least we know we have our work cut out for us!

In the afternoon we ventured into town to do some shopping. With the help of a former colleague, we went up and down the narrow streets looking for fabric, football shirts and children’s clothes. Meanwhile ignoring the many comments from the young men crowding the streets. After a successful shopping trip (for my flat mate mostly) we made our way home.

That evening, a former Welbodi staff threw a very impressive leaving party! It was very enjoyable and fun meeting other expats, but by midnight I was tired of trying to make myself heard over the music and actually I was just generally tired. I called it a night and left with some friends who dropped me off at the house. As I entered our compound I met our guard killing a snake! Sweet dreams.

On Sunday I went to Regent and met up with my Salone friends there and in the afternoon I headed to Atlantic to meet up with 4 Mercy Ships friends for a late lunch. I must say it is quite amazing to sit at Atlantic on a Sunday afternoon and look out over the beach and the Atlantic ocean. After a lovely lunch a few of us walked along the stretch of Lumley beach to Aberdeen and after a short stay there I headed home again in the evening.

The rest of the evening was rather uneventful until I found a baby bat hopping around in our living room. I thought it was a frog initially until I examined it a bit closer and saw how black and flat it was. It sure looked like a bat. Disgusting. Needless to say, we removed it from our flat and I am hoping to never see a bat in our house again. No more animals on our compound for me please.

Well, I have now reached the hospital. It’s 7:50am. Time to get moving on my to-do list. Happy Monday.

No comments:

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~