Saturday, March 27, 2010

Reflection on Matthew 25...

At the ROC last week we looked at Matthew 25, a passage that I have read many times before. At first glance, it is easy to look at this passage and think of it as ‘simply’ telling us to help those in need around us. It is an easy read. It is to the point. It makes sense. And many of us use this passage as a trigger for doing relief work. This is all fine. However, I think we at times take this passage too lightly. When reading this passage in it’s full meaning it becomes apparent that it bears quite a message. In fact, it is clear in stating that we not only have a responsibility to help those in need but that there are dire consequences if we do not carry out our responsibility. It is talking about the Final Judgement of those who believe and follow Christ’s ways and those who do not believe. Either we are herded to our eternal doom or to our eternal reward. That is serious stuff. Have you ever thought of it like that? We are not simply urged to help those in need, we are ‘commanded’ to do as such. And if we do not do so, we will suffer the eternal consequences. Key message is: Let us do what is required of us and reach out to those around us and meet their needs. By doing so, we will touch their lives and touch the heart of God. There is much more to say and discuss about this passage, but for now, I will leave it at this. And pray that God will continue to grow in me that desire to help those in need.

Matthew 25:31-46

"When he finally arrives, blazing in beauty and all his angels with him, the Son of Man will take his place on his glorious throne. Then all the nations will be arranged before him and he will sort the people out, much as a shepherd sorts out sheep and goats, putting sheep to his right and goats to his left.

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what's coming to you in this kingdom. It's been ready for you since the world's foundation. And here's why: 



I was hungry and you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me a drink, I was homeless and you gave me a room, I was shivering and you gave me clothes, I was sick and you stopped to visit, I was in prison and you came to me.'

"Then those 'sheep' are going to say, 'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?' Then the King will say, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.'

"Then he will turn to the 'goats,' the ones on his left, and say, 'Get out, worthless goats! You're good for nothing but the fires of hell. And why? Because— 



I was hungry and you gave me no meal, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was homeless and you gave me no bed, I was shivering and you gave me no clothes, Sick and in prison, and you never visited.'

"Then those 'goats' are going to say, 'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry or thirsty or homeless or shivering or sick or in prison and didn't help?'

"He will answer them, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you failed to do one of these things to someone who was being overlooked or ignored, that was me—you failed to do it to me.' "Then those 'goats' will be herded to their eternal doom, but the 'sheep' to their eternal reward."

When a poor person dies of hunger, it has not happened because God did not take care of him or her. It has happened because neither you nor I wanted to give that person what he or she needed. ~Mother Teresa

No comments:

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~