Monday, December 14, 2009

Contrasts...

I went for a run this morning and although struggling with the cold weather and my breathing I pushed forward reminding myself I am doing this for a good cause. And while thinking about my campaign with charity: water and the people in Africa I am doing this for, I was struck by some stark contrasts.

While out running I saw many mothers and children strolling leisurely through the park with coats, strollers, mittens and smiles on their faces. In the developing world, it is these same mothers and children who are walking 3 miles to collect clean water. However, they are not doing it for fun, they are doing it to survive.

Another contrast: the weather. It was a very cold and frosty morning and I forgot my gloves. Within minutes my left hand (holding my stopwatch) started cramping up from the cold. I thought of the sun and the tropics. And how in most places in the developing world it is quite the opposite: not cold but hot. But, imagine walking 3 miles in the stifling heat? And with no water to quench your thirst? I quickly tucked my hands into my sleeves and kept running.

Then came a thought about the length of my run. My training today consisted of running 6 minutes, 5 times, with 2 minute walking breaks. Not so hard, but the point is building up speed. So, I think I went a little faster than I should have in the beginning, and was running with some difficulty about half way through the session. Then I thought about walking 3 miles with a bucket of water on my head. I have tried that once, and believe me, it was tough. I felt like my neck was being crushed. I realized that I have it easier running 5 miles than all those people walking for 3 miles in search of water.

Although I forgot my gloves I had all of my running gear on: trousers, running shirt, jacket, stopwatch, headband, running shoes. I was set to go. And as I was thinking about how stupid it was that I forgot my gloves I was thankful for all of the clothes I was wearing. I was picturing women and children on their trek for water, walking barefoot on the red dusty roads. Not only are they walking a great distance, but often with no footwear! I am fortunate.

So, while thinking about all of these contrasts, I could only be thankful for everything I have and for the opportunity to make a small difference in the lives of those who have it so much harder than I do. Can you help me make a difference? Join me in the water campaign: http://mycharitywater.org/sandralako

No comments:

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~