Saturday, April 05, 2008

Different scenarios...

A few cultural scenarios…just because…

Just before arriving in Brussels we were served ‘breakfast’ on the plane, if you can call it that. It consisted of: a single chocolate croissant. I didn’t find it the greatest of breakfasts; it was a very tiny croissant. Anyway, I couldn’t help but wonder what some of the Africans were thinking as they were served this small bread like food with a squirt of chocolate paste in the center. I’m sure some of them were craving rice with sauce at that point.

One of the first things I noticed on arriving in Europe was that the people do not seem as open and friendly. Basically on the street you are only talked to if you are asked a question or ask a question yourself. Not much greeting happens. In contrast to Sierra Leone, where just a few weeks ago I was walking along Spur Road in Freetown with a few expat friends, when I started a converstation with a Sierra Leonean lady walking in front of me with a baby in her arms; just a brief greeting and asking her about the baby etc. At the time it wasn’t awkward and quite pleasant. However, being back here, I can imagine anyone would think I was crazy or rude if I started a similar conversation with a total stranger on the street! Makes our culture seem somewhat cold…

After taking 3 trains from Brussels to Holland, I had to take a bus for the last hour. I figured I’d have to put my suitcase in the baggage compartment and quickly wondered if someone would be likely to help me or not. I figured that this being such a self-centered society, it was very unlikely. However, I also thought, that on the off-chance that someone would help me, they would probably do it free of charge. This being unlike one of the check-in men at Lungi airport in Sierra Leone, who after checking in my luggage asked me if I was going to tip him. My reply was of course, ‘no, this is your job’. I suppose it’s always worth a try...and maybe I shouldn’t blame them for asking, at least they are giving a helping hand…

No comments:

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~