Sunday, March 16, 2008

Cardboard crosses, tongue depressors and the Holy week...


Yesterday I spent a couple of hours cutting & pasting paper symbols onto cardboard crosses & making small wooden crosses out of (recycled) tongue depressors…all for the sake of Sunday School. I didn’t really mind doing it, although the option of going to the beach for the day was tempting. I did start to wonder why I was doing more of the craft than the children; time constraint during Sunday school I suppose. Anyway, I got it done and the kids were pleased this morning and could carry on with today’s craft.

Our theme for the past few weeks has been the ‘holy week’ – the week leading up to Easter. Talking about the crowds waving palm branches on Jesus’ entry, the expensive perfume poured out onto Jesus’ feet, Jesus washing the disciples’ feet, the Lord’s supper, the cup of suffering (Gethsemane) and today the crucifixion and burial. The children have really enjoyed it and using the symbols on their own crosses really has helped them to remember. It’s great to teach them how to apply things to their own lives – thinking of ways they can serve others, thinking about what they can give to Jesus, etc. It also gives us teachers the opportunity to reflect on the significance of each of these events. Of course, everything leads up to His resurrection. Next week Sunday we’ll finish the craft and then the children will present them in church. What else can I say? Working with the children continues to inspire me…

No comments:

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~