Saturday, February 16, 2008

Good news for baby Abu...

Actually, it's not only good news for baby Abu. It's good news for his mother, his grandmother and for me. Baby Abu is the 4 day old that came in on Monday- looking like he was on death's doorstep. A very floppy, listless infant. In desperate need of medical care. Well, after struggling to find a bed for him we managed to get him in a taxi and off to the hospital. To read his story go to http://sandralako.blogspot.com/2008/02/will-this-child-survive.html

I went to the hospital yesterday to join the doctor doing ward round. There lay little Abu. With his mom sitting by his side. He looked bigger somehow. He was looking around. He was much better. I picked him up and he was no longer floppy and listless. He was moving his little arms and legs. I could even get him to cry. The doctor there was pleased and said Abu could go home today. A happy ending. But this is not the end. Abu is only 8 days old. He has a long way to go. I wasn't going to let the mother go without a few words from me. So as I had her show me how Abu was feeding I encouraged her to take care of herself and her baby, to exclusively breastfeed, to take him to a hospital anytime he is sick. I hope and pray that she will look after little Abu.

No comments:

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~