Thursday, January 17, 2008

Going upline to Kabala...

I’ve wanted to visit the MSF hospital in Bo for sometime now. So, last week Friday we were talking about the possibility and decided it would be fun to go this weekend. Well, this week we started ‘planning’ but didn’t get far with our Bo plans due to various reasons. So plans changed a bit. Let me explain...

My first patient this year was a 5 year old with a very large tumor of her jaw- Burkitt’s Lymphoma. In the past it has been very hard to find treatment (chemotherapy) for these patients in the country. Fortunately I recently heard about a facility in Lunsar that might have treatment, so I sent her there on the 7th after briefly talking to one of their doctors on the phone. Yesterday, I called a nurse in the hospital to inquire about the patient; did she show up, is she on treatment, etc. Thank the Lord, she did arrive and started chemotherapy the previous day. So, since our Bo plans weren’t getting anywhere I thought it would be great to visit this patient in Lunsar. And then seeing as I’ve been wanting to go to Kabala – where it is mountainous and cold supposedly – for sometime, I thought that would make for a great trip. Plus I know someone who works for Cause Canada who spends some time up in Kabala. It was worth a shot. And I found out my friend is actually in Kabala this weekend.

So, the plan is for 5 of us from the team house and one of our drivers to leave the center at noon today. Drive from Freetown to Lunsar. Stop to see little Mariama & connect with doctor giving treatment. Drive on to Makeni. Stop at a hospital there that I’ve visited in the past. Then probably spend the night there. On Saturday we’ll drive on to Kabala and hang out there for the weekend. Do some hiking and sight seeing. And then make our way back to Freetown sometime on Sunday. It’ll be a nice little break from Freetown and a great opportunity to see more of beautiful Salone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Sandra. Greetings from Lima, Peru. I found your blog six months ago, when I searched for information about the last elections in Sierra Leone. Since then I have been reading your interesting stories. Really, I admire your work.

I hope you'are having a good trip.

genae said...

hey...hope that you had a great trip....love to you! by the way, i forgot to tell you that i love the mural pictures!

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~