Monday, May 29, 2006

guess where I am...
















I decided to return to the Anastasis one last time (with my mom) for the ship’s final sail as a Mercy Ship, from Monrovia, Liberia to Tema, Ghana. After having lived onboard for 14 years it is kind of like a home-coming, yet it’s with mixed feelings that I am here. This time will be the last. However, while it lasts, I will enjoy every minute of it. And it is quite a treat to be here for the final sail.

Yesterday we tested the main engines.
This afternoon we had our fire and life boat drills.
This evening we had the stowaway search.
We arranged extra security on the dock for the night…a UN tank! It was a “Kodak” moment most of the crew when the tank arrived!!! Children and adults alike.

All of this brought back memories…

Standing around with life jackets on at the muster stations! I remember as a kid, I loved long drills- because they’d get us out of school! The longer, the better. I remember helping search for stowaways…in the holds, in cabins etc. I remember good hiding spots from when we played sardines and hid for the searches- above the rope ladder, vent stations etc. What a childhood.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

stow-a-way searches always remind me of falling down a ladder...

Anonymous said...

I remember that Stefan! I forgot all about Sardines. :( Glad of the reminder. I remember finding Sonya Bowen in the closet in the music room and trying so hard to squeeze in there with her and the rest. I think Sandra you were the last to find us!

apologeezer said...

Nothing like posing in front of a piece of heavy armament to put everything in perspective. Somehow a tank painted white just isn't as intimidating as one decorated in cammy, is it? All that rig needs is a blue strip around the turret and it could be called Mercy Tanks!

Anonymous said...

Hey San
This will always be a good memory we share together, it was a great trip indeed. These days with camping and all in haiti brings back many memories of Anastasis days.
Love you
mama

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~